Mayfield Village is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1087. The village name derives from both Maghefeld (a field where mayweed grows) and maid's field. The village sign depicts a maid.
Every September the village hosts its annual carnival. This is to commemorate the Protestants being condemned here on 23 September 1556, and being burnt at the stake in Lewes. The festival is part of the Sussex bonfire tradition of marking the discovery of the Gunpowder Plot. The procession marches through the village by torchlight on the third Saturday in September, climaxing with a firework display in the recreation ground. The money raised through the street collection is spent on charities.
Access to Mayfield Village is free.